One of the most frequently asked questions we receive from clients is, “How much does a plastic mold cost?” Plastic mold fabrication is the largest upfront cost of injection molding, and the price depends on several variables, from part complexity to number of cavities. Today we will discuss those variables so that you can be better informed when purchasing a plastic mold.
5 Factors that Affect the Cost of Plastic Mold Fabrication
- Number of cavities – How many cavities your mold contains directly correlates to the mold cost. The higher the number of cavities, the more tooling work and time required to manufacture the mold. Limiting the number of cavities in your mold will lower your initial manufacturing costs.
- Part complexity – The complexity of your design is determined by a number of factors, including surface finishing, tolerance requirements, fine detailing, and the number of undercuts that are incorporated. Our experienced staff can help you determine what is necessary for your part design in order to reduce cost and avoid unnecessary expenses without compromising the integrity of your part.
- Core metal – The standard mold materials are steel and aluminum. Aluminum is more readily available, faster to manufacture, and has better thermal heat transfer. However, steel molds last considerably longer than aluminum, allowing you to produce more parts from a steel mold.
- Mold base – The mold base holds all the mold cavities, inserts, and components together. The cost of the base is determined by the size of the mold, the type of steel used, and the customization required. Most bases come in standard sizes and are then machined to meet a project’s specifications.
- Core/cavity machining – All molds must be customized for the placement of ejectors, cavities, cooling lines, cores, etc. This customization is faster and less expensive with aluminum molds. Steel molds give you the highest upfront cost, but make up this cost on the back end by providing long production life.
Proto-Cast Offers Quality and Experience
Proto-Cast, LLC has been leading the way in plastic mold fabrication for over 50 years. We are your one stop shop for plastic mold fabrication. Typical build time for our molds is four to eight weeks, depending on complexity. We are an ISO 9001-2015 certified company, so you can be sure your plastic injection mold will be manufactured to the highest industry standards. If you would like a quote, call us today at 610-326-1723.